Jim Collins says that running a business is a lot like driving a bus. You as the business leader have some decisions to make…where are we going and who is coming with us? Check out a quote from his book “Good to Great”:
You are a bus driver. The bus, your company, is at a standstill, and it’s your job to get it going. You have to decide where you’re going, how you’re going to get there, and who’s going with you.
Most people assume that great bus drivers (read: business leaders) immediately start the journey by announcing to the people on the bus where they’re going—by setting a new direction or by articulating a fresh corporate vision.
In fact, leaders of companies that go from good to great start not with “where” but with “who.” They start by getting the right people on the bus, the wrong people off the bus, and the right people in the right seats. And they stick with that discipline—first the people, then the direction—no matter how dire the circumstances.
His major focus is the People. WHO. First WHO then WHAT. He is saying that the people should be the major focus in the business. Are people playing in position? Are people actually following the vision of the company?
Food for thought.
So what is our take home from this kind of great content? Well we need to answer a few key questions.
- What positions are KEY to moving my company forward through this next season?
- Are the right people in those positions at present?
- If the right people are in position but we are not moving forward – why is this?
- If the wrong people are in any of the positions – what can be done about this?
- What positions are KEY to moving the company forward through this next season?
- Am I in the correct position that plays to my strengths and allows me to contribute meaningfully?
- Do I have the skills set that is needed to assist the company moving forward?
- Can I perhaps change my role/up-skill/take on more responsibility in my company?
- Are there other roles that I might be better suited for or other companies where I could better use my strengths?
If we can assist you with the provision of a top class recruitment service please feel free to get hold of us and let’s have a coffee to discuss how how we can partner with you in getting your company flourishing with top talent!